Our history

churchconstructOn May 20, 1897, the First Cumberland Presbyterian Church of California was formally organized with 115 charter members in response to a petition to Pittsburgh Presbytery. The church cornerstone was laid September 22, 1900, and services were first held in the building on June 8, 1902. In 1936, the manse which connects with the church was erected. A Sunday School wing added in the early 1960’s is currently leased to The Village.

Ongoing restoration of church property includes stained glass windows, masonry work, and code
upgrades. In 2003-04, a new nursery and upgraded Youth Room and Sunday School Room were completed. A church history room has been dedicated to preserving the church’s historical archives.

churcholdThe church is governed by a session elected by the congregation and moderated by the minister. Numerous committee positions are available for those wishing to participate.

First Presbyterian belongs to Washington Presbytery. We are also a member of the Synod of the Trinity and the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church USA.